An indoor putting green could be extremely valuable. It could be for you, or it could also be a practice area for your son/daughter. We at Camry see it as an investment. There’s no better feeling than putting at home while watching the game or the weather isn’t cooperating. An indoor putting green is not appreciated enough until it’s 100+ degrees outside or below 0 and freezing! Oh and, here’s a cool thing about the material we use….
Camry Carpet is used by PGA Tour Pros!
If you have some pretty basic tools lying around and are at least a little handy, you can do this no sweat. For reference, a 4’x15′ green like the one below would cost ~$250 to build – carpet and all materials in!
Links to the exact items I purchased to build this green will also be listed.
Before you get to the DIY Plan, Here are some photos of customer projects to get an idea of what we are building!
Here is the Build Plan:
2×4 framing , 2×4 horizontal beams
Topped off with 3/4” particle board for the base.
You Have an Option to add an underlayment or carpet padding for softness on the feet and heat retention, just as you would with normal carpet. From experience and customers feedback, the easiest to work with is Sound Solutions LV multipurpose underlayment OR FloorMuffler Ultraseal acoustic underlayment.
There underlayments feel great on the feet and greatly reduce any sound of your putting green. It is $60 and it is a great investment if you will be putting on the green for extended periods of time. This product . Amazon Product Link:
Drill holes using hole saw – 4 1/4″. Product link: https://amzn.to/3eQ53Ar
Apply carpet with carpet adhesive spread with a 1/16” trowel if applying to particle board/plywood or smooth surface. (***If you are using underlayment or Padding you have to use 3M Super 77***) Try to apply only 3-6 feet at a time. This process does not need to be rushed. No pressure down on carpet other than a book to flatten it out. Let dry.
Product link: https://camrygolf.com/product/54″-x-180″-roll/
Slit a small ‘X’ in the carpet with an Exacto knife where the Holes are and slide in Regulation cups for a Flush Look.
To Add break ; Use Furniture levers!
A Couple of Notes
- Build it where you want to use it if you can. It will be awkward to move if you have narrow corridors.
- You can adjust this build to whatever size you want to make it. The only tricky part may be making sure the underlayment is perfectly flush if you have to use more than 1 piece. We suggest planning 4′ width increment greens since the particle board comes at 4′ standard from local shops.
- Camry carpet is the best roll, and also shaves off about $100 vs the Big Moss artifical turf. Simply choose out the sizing you need from our Shop, or email us at [email protected],com for custom sizing. Prices are going to vary and we always do our best to get the best price.
- Slit an X in the carpet! people try to make the mistake of cutting out a perfect circle- thats a NO-NO. This will save you a lot of trouble and it will no doubt be cleaner than you or I can do it. Use an exacto knife and make the x just large enough for the cups to slide in flush with the carept wedge in between the cup and wood.
- Use tarp to cover if you are placing it outside.
- With these dimensions, you can comfortably practice up to a 15ft putt and add break to it if you want. The material rolls at 11 speed, but you can use the furniture levels on one end to hit uphill putts rolling at 7-10 speed(ITS AMAZING).
- Links to the products used:
- 1 1/16″ Trowel – Amazon https://amzn.to/3x4pgsv
- Hole Saw – Amazon https://amzn.to/3eQ53Ar
- Furniture Levelers – Amazon https://amzn.to/3kT7S7s
- Regulation 4″ Deep Cups – https://camrygolf.com/product/4-regulation-size-putting-cup-1-piece/
- Camry Carpet Putting Surface – https://camrygolf.com/product/4-5-x-16-roll/
- Cork Underlayment – https://amzn.to/3s04t8l
- Acoustic Underlayment – https://amzn.to/3LBwtsa
- 3M Carpet/ Wood All purpose Adhesive – Amazon https://amzn.to/36ZYarT
- Additional sizing, visit our shop. https://camrygolf.com/shop/
- If you still can’t find the right dimension to cover your area, email [email protected] for quick response.
HOPE THIS HELPS!